Jul 7, 2013

Getting Into My Marathon Training


So here I am trying to ramp up my training/miles easy enough so I hopefully avoid some injuries. My though was to take it easy at this with a long term point of view. Since I have never run a Marathon I have spent some time researching different training plans geared towards the beginner or intermediate runners. I have to remember that even though I have been running and racing for many years, I have been off for six so I probably should think beginner, but I want to do more. So I am just going to compromise between beginner and intermediate.

As of this writing I am doing about 30 miles per week with the longest run being 12 miles. The problem now is it is just so hot and humid it has been taking a toll on me. I’m thinking I will gradually step up the miles and in August (still hot) and start my actual Marathon focused training. It will start to get a bit more comfortable by September.

Some of the tools I am using are a Heart Rate Monitor I bought back in 1989. This has the watch and chest strap wireless function that works great even now. I monitor my heart rate when doing tempo runs and long runs then sometimes during my other runs so I keep my self under control. I am carrying a smart phone on my arm using the Map My Run application. This way I can keep track of my miles, I use those little ear buds so I can hear the miles and pace.

One thing that may be good for me is I am working one full time job and a part time job. What’s good is that I usually work both jobs on Tuesdays and Thursdays (sometimes only one of those days) so I do not have time to run. The benefit is that I am forced to take those days off from running and it gives me some time to recuperate. For cross training I will ride a bike either on the road or on the wind trainer. Wednesdays are my speed training days, I will do ¼ mile repeats, sometimes one mile repeats, even more occasionally a 5K run (not race) to measure my progress.

Hopefully this will get me pointed in the right direction and make some good progress towards finishing this marathon. By the way I do plan to do two or three 5K races and one 10 miler between now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment