Oct 9, 2013

Marathon Getting Close and My Training

It’s now about 8 weeks till my first marathon and I think I am moving along ok in my preparations. I did another 5k race back in August and knocked another minute off my time for a 21:58 finish and second place in my age group. I have also been gradually increasing my weekly mileage, running 5 days per week, this week will be 40 miles and I have been feeling good.

My long runs have progressed from 10, 12, 14, 15 to 16 miles. An 18 miler this weekend with two 20 milers planned before my taper for the marathon. I have only had issues with my shoes on these runs and that pertains to my left shoe not staying snug. These are Nike Pegasus, oddly the shoe lace does not come loose, it seems like the shoes upper itself loosens up. I don’t get it; the right shoe never does this. I like the shoes otherwise but now I’m on the hunt for a replacement.

In addition to running I have been on the bike occasionally and have been working out my upper body and legs. Wednesdays are my speed days and the tempo run is my focus now, increasing the distance of the tempo run every week keeping at 80 to 85 percent heartbeat range.

On October 20 I will be doing the Wellington Horse Country 10 Miler. This will be my test run for a distance race before the marathon, as it will be for other runners. This will help me gauge my progress and give me another finishing time to use for training purposes. More on that and getting some new shoes in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment